Friday, May 18, 2012

CHAPTER4EXERCISE21_CHAPIN

Surface structure:  Do you still love me as much as you used to?

Deep structure:  Do you still love me as m uch as you used to [love me]?


If you take take the deep structure and make a transformation that deletes the VP held in brackets, then you have accounted for the meanings of the two sentences. Deletion can take place when it is possible to figure out easily from the context just what has been deleted.

For the old women, it wasn't so easy; however, for me, it a piece of cake. Notice how I just made a VP deletion right there. I'm sure you had no problem following it either.


Surface structure: For the old woman, it wasn't so easy; however, for me, it was a piece of cake.

Deep structure: For the old women, [finding the deletion] wasn't so easy; however, for me, it as a piece of cake.

No comments: